Hello my Fit Babes!
This is a list/post I have wanted to put together for quite sometime and for whatever reason, I just haven't seemed to get around to actually doing it until now. So, without further adieu...here you have a list of pretty much what I live off of. Clean, simple, wholesome, nourishing foods that make you a happy, healthy, lean machine.
Please keep in mind as you read thru this post, that this list is what works for me. These are the foods that I adore eating on the reg - they make me feel happy, healthy, energetic, make my digestive system a happy camper & keep me looking & feeling my best - all the things I wish for you!
A few tidbits about my personal eating habits:
- I believe in intuitive eating...
Life is incredibly cyclical and I tend to go thru phases. I listen to my body and give it what it needs - this applies to both food & workouts. When I'm tired I rest. If I have an abundance of energy I'll have a kick ass workout or even workout 2x a day. PMSing & craving chocolate?? you better believe I'm gonna eat that chocolate. (dark only) During the colder months of the year, I crave warm, cozy bowls of oats, quinoa & hearty soups. Summer months, I exist off of green smoothies, massive salads & a ridiculous amount of fruits & veggies.
- Organic: I encourage you to buy & eat organic whenever possible. I make my best effort to eat organic, however sometimes, it just isn't feasible. And yes, It is more expensive - I know! But, when there's a will there's a way, and I believe that investing in your health is one of the life's most important investments. There are ways to save -- be a smart shopper, pay attention to sales & by all means, be a grocery-store-hopper!
- Gluten Free/Dairy Free: I have a sensitivity to both gluten & dairy. Over the last few years, I played around with the whole elimination/reintroduction thing and finally made the decision to just cut both out. Once you establish the habit its very easy to stick with. Seriously ;) I'd be lying if I said I never ever eat gluten or dairy, however, 90% of the time I adhere to a gluten/dairy free diet. With that being said, in case your wondering...I use almond milk, I don't care for Soy milk & I'm obsessed with goats cheese & yogurt!
- Plant Based Diet: I could very easily be a vegetarian and I do mainly eat a plant based diet. However, you won't catch me making any proclamations about "going veggie" and cutting out meat for good. I enjoy eating meat a few times a week & with as much as I work out, I find myself feeling tired when I haven't given my body any animal protein. When I say animal protein, this pretty much just means chicken. I'll eat a really amazing filet maybe (maybe) 3-5x a year, and I thoroughly enjoy it.
- Low Carb: I choose to eat a fairly low carb diet as this is what makes feel my best & keeps me lean. Going back to intuitive eating...colder months of the year, I enjoy & crave oats, quinoa, brown rice & sweet potatoes as my main carb sources. Warmer months of the year, my carbs come from fruits & veggies.
There's no cookie cutter approach when it comes to food & fitness. We are all unique & amazing in our own way. What works for me, may not work for you. This fit lifestyle is experimental & individual. Find what works for you - whatever makes you your happiest, healthiest, best-body self - and do that. :)
I hope you find this post & list helpful! xx
- Beef (organic/grass fed)
Grains & Legumes:
- Brown Rice
- Garbanzo Beans (Chic Peas)
- Beans: Black & Red
Veggies & Leafy Greens:
- Sweet Potatoes
- Butternut Squash
- Cabbage (Red & Green)
- Dandelion Greens
Nuts & Seeds: (raw, unsalted)
- Brazil Nuts
- Sunflower Seeds
- Pine Nuts
- Maca Powder
- Gogi Berries
- Mulberry Berries
- Acai Powder
- Raw Cacao Powder or Cacao Nibs
- Chia Seeds
- Hemp Seeds/Hemp Protein
- Bee Pollen
- Cayenne Pepper
Oils & Vinegar:
- Avocado Oil
- Coconut Oil
- Seasame Seed Oil
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Organic Apple Cider Vinegar
Where I Shop:
- Trader Joe's
- Whole Foods
- Harris Teeter & Publix
I bounce around between all these markets for different items. I have my favorites at each & have my little routine nailed down.
If your looking to save money I highly recommend shopping at Aldi. Their prices are incredible & they have seriously hopped on the organic train this year. Trader Joe's would be next followed by the others.
A few photos of what my weekly grocery shopping looks like:
My go to greens when shopping at Trader Joe's..
Power to The Greens / Arugala / Baby Spinach
Whole Foods Shoppin' - What's in my cart?
Organic Girl Super Greens
(I'm crazy for all the Organic Girl Greens available at Whole Foods. You can find them at Publix, as well)
Organic Frozen fruit (for smoothies) / Gogji Berries / Probiotic /
Pitted Dates / Dark Chocolate Bar / Almond Milk Latte / Watermelon Juice (a great way to rehydrate after Hot Yoga)
A few of my fave fruits..
Apples / Pineapple / Cantaloupe / Papaya / Bananas