As a part of my Winter Detox this week, I threw together this big pot of warm-you-up-from-the-inside-out Detox Cabbage Soup on Sunday night to have readily available & eat throughout the week. I've been eating a bowl of this delicious & super nutritious soup every afternoon for lunch and making a big leafy green & colorful veggie salad for dinner at night!
I'm 3 days into this Winter Detox & I'm feeling pretty awesome. I'll be doing a separate post explaining what this detox entails but this soup has been a big part of it -- So Yummy!
Loading up on all my greens & veggies on Sunday evening.
Planning is everything -- I just can't say this enough! Having a fridge & pantry stocked with healthy staples sets you up for success!!
The combination of veggies -- loads of red & green cabbage, celery, carrots & onion -- along with warming, healing spices like fresh ginger, cayenne pepper, turmeric & garlic work together to detox your body, reduce inflammation, boost your immune system, & help get your digestive house in order.
A few healthy nuggets about all the goodness inside this mind-body, nourishing soup...
- Cabbage. Red & Green: cruciferous & full of fiber, this tummy-flattening veggie is packed with Vitamin C (especially Red Cabbage), detoxifing Sulfur & Vitamin K + full of antioxidants to make for beautiful skin from the inside-out.
- Celery. Water Loving Food -- Celery helps to cleanse & flush & de-bloat
- Carrots. Vitamin A for healthy, beautiful hair, skin & nails
- Cayenne/Ginger/Turmeric/Garlic. Bunching these babies together as their health & beauty benefits are somewhat repetitive but each one so amazing for you in their own right. I use all of these spices on the reg to calm inflammation in my body, boost metabolism, keep my immune system healthy & strong & of course, help to rid my body of toxins.
A couple FYI's:
1) I'm in no way doing this as a "Cabbage Soup Diet" I'm eating 2 healthy, clean meals + a snack (typically a fruit + raw nuts) in addition to a bowl of soup every day
2) This soup has a crazy amount of fiber -- if your not used to eating cruciferous/fibrous veggies, you might actually look/feel a bit bloated the first day or two as the fiber makes its way thru your system. This is totally normal and I promise, won't last long ;)
Thanks so much for stopping in -- hope you love this soup as much I do! xx
What I used:
- red & green cabbage. 1/2 of each
- yellow onion. 1 (med sized)
- celery. 6 stalks (cleaned & chopped chunky)
- carrots. 6, cleaned, peeled, chopped chunky
- organic, low sodium vegetable broth. 1 box
- filtered water. 3 cups
- organic coconut oil. 1 tblspn (instead of olive oil)
- garlic. 5 cloves, minced
- fresh, organic ginger. 2 inch chunk, minced
- turmeric. 1/2 teaspoon
- cayenne pepper. a few dashes. (if your afraid you'll add too much and make the soup too spicy leave it out and add to your bowl, if you like :)
*Use more/less/omit any of the spices -- just use what you like.
- chop, chop, chop (and peel) your veggies.
- onion in the pot with coconut oil -- sauté & sweat 'em out...
- add in celery, carrots & garlic -- cook & stir for a few minutes
- add in some broth (enough to cover whats in the pot so far)
- add in your cabbage + spices + more broth
- bring to a boil, then to a simmer & cover.
- eat. enjoy. be healthy. be happy.
half, then quarter & then flip on the side & remove the rib of the cabbage