I think last Thursday night was one of the first Thursday’s we’ve stayed in for a really long time… We usually head out for a date night somewhere but since I was feeling under the weather all week, we stayed in and cooked and it was so lovely!
This baked chicken dish is like comfort food but healthy – it is seriously yummy & super satisfying! I never really tire of eating chicken but its definitely more enjoyable to mix things up with how you prepare it and this one-pot meal, full of flavor, hits the spot, no doubt!
What I Used:
– 3 organic chicken legs (with the skin)
– 1 organic chicken sausage
– 2 yellow onions. (cut chunky, about 1 in. pieces)
– 3 red bell peppers. (cut into about 1 in. thick pieces)
– 1 cup, mushrooms
– 6 cloves, garlic (whole)
– 1 cup, organic chicken broth (low sodium)
– sea salt & pepper, to taste
– oregano, a few shakes
– grapeseed oil (high heat oil)
– balsamic vinegar. 2 tablespoons
My sweet boyfriend went to the store to pick up everything for dinner because I worked fairly late on Thursday. He found these really amazing organic chicken legs at Reid’s Fine Foods. Typically, I would use chicken thighs but the chicken legs were actually really fantastic. So, the boy only got 1 sausage & we definitely could have used 2. Soooo, definitely get 2 😉 This meal makes for yummy leftovers!
– Preheat oven to 400 degrees, using center rack
– Lightly sauté your onions, garlic & bell peppers in a large pot with oil, sea salt & pepper & oregano
– Heat a separate pan + high heat oil to brown Chicken Thighs & Sausage. About 4-5 minutes, or until they have some nice color, on each side, on med-high heat.
– Transfer chicken legs or thighs (whatever your using) into pot with with onions, garlic & bell peppers. Remove sausage, place onto cutting board, and cut into about 1 – 1 1/2 inch thick chunks then add to pot with the rest of the party.
– Add in your cup of Chicken Broth & place in the oven with the lid on or dutch oven.
– Bake for about 34-40 minutes. I removed pot from the oven at about 25 minutes to add in my mushrooms, gave everything a nice stir around the pot and set back in the oven.
– When 35-40 minutes is up, remove your pot once again & set oven to Broil on High.
– Add in balsamic vinegar and place pot back in the oven, lid off, under the broiler for about 5 minutes.
Hashtag YUM!! xx